Overview of standards development, maintenance and enrichment
1. ISO-IEC standards
1. Standards that are governed by the ISO-IEC consensus processes.
2. In the end many standards end up in this category which in most cases has the highest authority level.
3. These standards require a lot of investment and consensus.
2. Regional standards such as EU standards
1. Standards that are agreed at regional level such as EU standards
2. These are valid regionally and in the case of the EU, they can be mandated in the countries under the EU
3. These require regional investment and consensus which is usually a little easier than ISO-IEC level
3. National standards such as NEN, DIN
1. Standards that are agreed at national level by consensus in the national standards body
2. These are valid nationally and can be mandated in the country.
3. These require investment and consensus at national level in the national standards body which is usually somewhat easier than at regional level.
4. Industry group standards
1. Standards that are agreed in an industry group
2. The are agreed in the committees of the industry group and are valid for the industry community involved.
3. Examples are NE100, CFIHOS, EPIM STI, MIMOSA,CCOM
4. These require investment and consensus from the industry group which is usually easier than with the creation of formal nations, standards.
5. Company standards
1. Standards that are set by a company for its own business processes and information management activities.
2. These require investment and consensus in the company which is usually relatively easy.
3. These standards are adopted internally and imposed on suppliers. This poses problems for those suppliers since companies will have different standards, sometimes for the same things
6. Project standards
1. Standards that are adopted in a project.
2. These are derived from the company standards with local extensions for the project in hand.
3. The company standard usually is enriched from the project experiences.
4. The standards require significant investment by the company since they do this on their own.
The various types of standards will be presented on this website